Everyday Tips For Living With A Chronic Illness
Chronic pain is defined as any pain lasting more than 12 weeks. It can be caused by an initial injury, such as a back sprain, or it can develop over time, such as from arthritis, as explained by the pain medicine specialist Dr Brian Blick. Chronic pain can make everyday activities difficult and significantly reduce your quality of life.
If you’re living with chronic pain, here are tips that may help you find relief.
1. Get moving. Exercise is one of the most effective ways to relieve chronic pain. It helps increase endorphins, which are natural painkillers, and it also helps improve flexibility and range of motion.
2. Manage your stress levels. Stress can aggravate chronic pain, so it’s important to find ways to manage it. Try taking some deep breaths, meditating, or spending time in nature.
3. Adjust your diet. Eating an anti-inflammatory diet can help reduce chronic pain. Include plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats in your diet and limit processed foods and sugars.
4. Consider supplements. Certain supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin D, and magnesium, can help reduce inflammation and pain levels. Always speak with Dr Brian Blick before taking any supplements.
5. Get enough sleep. When you don’t get enough sleep, your body’s ability to heal is compromised and pain levels increase. Aim for 7-9 hours of sleep every night and create a bedtime routine that will help you relax before bed.
6. Use heat or cold therapy. Applying heat or cold to the area of pain can help relieve discomfort and stiffness. Try alternating between the two for best results.
7. Stretch or massage the area regularly. Stretching or massaging the area of pain can help increase blood flow and reduce muscle tension.
By following these tips, you can live a fuller, happier life despite your discomfort. Chronic pain is a common condition that affects millions of people worldwide. If you’re living with chronic pain, there are these things you can do to find relief.